School used to start after labor day, this year it was the second week of August! The transition from summer hols to school has been a tough one, but one way we found to ease into the day has been a delicious, slurp in the car, breakfast smoothie.
Knowing the kids are going to be on the playground in the middle of the day in the blazing sun I figure if I start their day with a tummy full of skin protecting and repairing antioxidants, as well as some brain fueling omega 3s they are off to a good start.
Every day the smoothie is a little different but I try to include some of these 2 groups along with whatever fruit and veg is on hand.
- Ground flaxmeal
- 1 tsp raw cocoa nibs (great source of magnesium + calcium, iron, copper, zinc and potassium)
- 1 tbsp cashew/peanut/almond butter
- ½ banana (fronzen in chunks)
- ½ cup fresh or frozen strawberries/blueberries/raspberries
- ½ apple ½ peach
- Almond milk or apple juice to tasteAdditional items I might throw in
- 1 carrot
- ½ stick celery
- ¼ sweet bell pepper (make sure you don’t add any spicy seeds)
- 1 tsp green food powder